Friday, November 5, 2010

I "Remembered"

I heard the name Guy Fawkes before, but it never clicked. Honestly the first memory I have of that name is watching an episode of Daria. In the show its some British punk rocker looking guy. I didn't care then about who he was and why the British had a holiday to him.Then I met Adam....

Adam grew up for a time in England and he loved it. Texas was like that for me until last year when I attempted to give him a glimpse of my childhood. We had a great time, but I wanted to show him the duck pond (no ducks), the woods I played in (fenced off), and my school (we drove by). Because we think and act alike, he wanted to take me to 'his' town in England. I suspect it would have been a 'fail' just as Texas was for me. I think he would have been just as disappointed, I was, with all the changes. Silly us thinking our childhood hometowns would never change.

I digress. So he grew up in England and celebrated Guy Fawkes Day. He taught me all about it. Adam told me about what he did when he was little with the Guy Fawkes dolls. They burn them. If I remember correctly from what he said, my mind gets hazed as this is a recount of his memory, he made the dolls he burned. He told me he loved the holiday growing up. I can only think "Fire!" as being a great encouragement to a little boy.

It is because of Adam that I will know always to "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

No comments:

Post a Comment